If the goal when driving is to arrive safely and enjoy the ride, the same general rules will apply to both driving and life. It is important to know the rules, and to follow them in order to minimize hazards. We can’t eliminate risk in either driving or in life because it is an inherent part of both. Accidents and injury are likely due to the inherently dangerous nature of living.
With that being said, here are my tips for driving:
- Watch your speed — don’t make sudden starts or stops. As in life, making hasty moves that are not well thought out can lead to unwanted outcomes.
2. Keep your eyes on the road. We must pay close attention to what we are doing and where we are going in life.
3. Don’t drive with your hands on the rearview mirror. What is behind you is only minimally helpful in getting you to your destination.
4. Stay in your own lane. This relates to minding our own business and staying out of others’ way.
5. Pass with care. While you should mostly stay in your lane, passing is sometimes necessary and must be done carefully. Don’t step on people.
6. Don’t ignore the signs. Road signs are everywhere and are quite obvious. The signs we see in life aren’t always so easy to see, but they are there and it’s important to pay attention to them to keep us moving in the right direction.
7. Be courteous. Both traffic and life go more smoothly when we are kind to each other.
8. Be patient. See tip number 1.
9. Stay alert. We must remain aware of our environment to scan for possible bumps in the roads of life and behind the wheel in order to be better prepared to navigate them.
10. Keep distractions to a minimum. This relates to keeping our focus on what is most important whether it is our own safety and well being or more general life goals. Living a distracted life may lead to missing what is important.
11. Sing along with the radio. Do this because it is also important to enjoy the ride.
12.Take breaks. Our bodies and our minds need rest in order to function optimally. This will help to keep us safe and headed in the right direction. We never want to find ourselves asleep at the wheel as this is dangerous and often leads to deadly accidents. Similar mishaps may result if we fail to pay attention as we navigate our lives.
13. Beware of detours: detours are there to help us avoid roadblocks for safety on the road. Detours in life can take us off the road we have been traveling on and into new and exciting territory where we can learn new things and take in a different view.
14. Use and trust your compass. We all have an internal compass to help steer us in the right direction. It is also known as your intuition. Learn to trust it as it often knows the right way.
You can and should read into all of those tips. They will help you to stay safe and enjoy the ride both on the road while you drive and as you navigate your life.